It’s June! Did you know that? It kinda snuck up on me.
We are halfway through the year so it is time for me to become a bit more systematic about my reading choices.
I have two challenges to complete by the end of the year (not counting the one I just started) and I am perpetually challenging my self to diversity my reading: more books by and about LGBTQ, more books in translation, more books by people of color, more people who are not like me.
First up (because it is the easiest) is the PANELS 2016 Read Harder Challenge. This one is particularly fun for me since I am new to the comics game. I have found some real gems! I finished some my tasks already but I wanted to nail down a plan of attack for the ones that I had left.
Here is what I came up with:
- Read a self-published comic // Darwin Carmichael
- Read a superhero comic whose gender has been swapped // Thor, Vol 1: Goddess of Thunder
- Read a complete run of a comic // The Runaways
- Read a comic based on a book and the book it’s based on // Wool & Wool
- Read a comic with at least one creator of color // Black Panther, Vol 1
- Read a comic set in Asia by an Asian creator // Boxers & Saints
- Read a comic that has been adapted from a movie // Indiana Jones and the Spear of Destiny
- Read a comic about a real-life historical event // Maus
- Read a black-and-white comic // Calling Dr Laura
- Read a watercolor comic // Beautiful Darkness